Otherwise known as impression-die forging, closed die forging relates to a process in which a metal is placed between shapes that are customized to fit the metal. Such metal is then pressed and hammered, causing it to fill and flow in the cavities of the custom-shaped dies. This forging classification is one of the most frequently used processes for forging steel components.
Closed die forging can produce longer-lasting and stronger products because it works well with the steel’s internal grain structure.
Why is Closed Die Forging Frequently Used?
The noteworthy advantage offered by closed die forging is that it needs little-to-no machining at all. It simply makes use of the force produced from all the pressing and hammering during the closed die forging process. Likewise, it uses the right amount of heat to deform the steel so it can accurately fill the die mold or impression.
Closed die forging can be used to create parts made out of almost all metal materials, including steel, aluminum, and countless other metal alloys. Thanks to no material limitations, parts can be made to fit your exact needs. Other advantages of closed die forging are:
- Capacity to create near net shape and sizes
- More accurate and steady impressions
- Can achieve several shapes and dimensions have tight tolerances
- Superior mechanical properties and better surface finish
Just like everything in life, there are some disadvantages to products – that includes closed die forgings. Some of the common disadvantages include:
- Size limitation
- It is not cost-effective for short production runs for the high tooling cost
- Shape limitation – For these components with an irregular shape, it is also not available
- Such complex products can only be made by casting
Get Exceptional Closed Die Forging at Ferralloy Inc.!
At Ferralloy, our team will closely work with you to determine if closed die forgings are the best options for your company. We will provide you with every detail you need so you can make a better choice. If you’re interested, contact us today!