Have you heard of forging? If not, it’s a manufacturing process that uses compressive forces to shape metal parts. There are many different kinds of forging processes to choose from. As a result, it’s important to know a little about each process. Today we’re going to discuss a popular method of forging called closed die forging. Here are some interesting facts to know!
Facts About Closed Die Forging
- The process of forging is also known as “impression die forging.”
- The history of this forging process dates all the way back to 4000 BC. And some believe it may have come about even earlier than that.
- This process can forge most metals and alloys.
- This kind of forging has low recurring costs for the different parts, making it one of the most economical methods to use.
- Due to its economical advantages, this type of forging process is very popular in the automotive and tool industries.
- In comparison to many other machined parts, closed die forgings have a 20 percent higher strength-to-weight ratio.
- This forging process requires little to no machining. As a result, people are able to save significant time and money when using it on a project.
- Closed die forgings of stainless steel, titanium, aluminum and other metals have the ability to create several different 3-D parts with a variety of shapes, sizes and weights.
- Due to its unique flexibility, this type of forging process is one of the best processes for designs and shapes that are elaborate and complex.
If you think that closed die forging is right for your next project, Ferralloy Inc. can help. We are a major supplier of closed die forgings to a global customer base. In addition, our company has the capacity to produce and manufacture whatever parts your unique project needs, so don’t wait any longer to get these parts! Give us a call today to find out exactly what we can do for your project!