In the forging industry, companies often look for products with plasticity matching, good strength, moderate density, and can withstand a high-temperature atmosphere. Like titanium, zirconium also has outstanding corrosion resistance in several alkali and acid media. It is among the few essential structural materials used by nuclear industries.
Here are the reasons why several companies use zirconium parts and components.
Zirconium Properties and Applications
Properties Used in Zirconium Metalworking
Zirconium is an altered metal with a grayish-white luster. This compact metal is difficult to ignite and most of its components have low inherent toxicity.
What makes it predominantly appealing is that it is remarkably resistant to corrosion even when exposed to common acids and alkalis, seawater, and other agents. It is also known to become magnetic at low temperatures when alloyed with Zinc.
In the 1900s, about 90% of zirconium manufactured every year was used by the nuclear industry. Lately, however, as people gradually familiarize themselves with Zirconium and the benefits it offers, more applications have been found in various industries.
The chemical industry has been particularly interested in Zirconium due to its outstanding corrosion resistance. The most common types used are grades Zirconium 702 and Zirconium 705.
Interesting Facts about Zirconium
- It does not readily absorb thermal neutrons
- Both its physical and chemical properties are very similar to those of Titanium
- It is extremely strong, ductile, and malleable
- South Africa and Australia possess the most abundant sources of this metal
- This metal was discovered in 1789 by Martin Heinrich Klaproth in Berlin
- Zirconium got its name from the word “zircon”, which is the Persian word for “golden”
- Europe and China are the leading consumer markets of this metal
- It has been used as a gemstone since ancient times
Looking for Zirconium Parts and Components?
At Ferralloy Inc., our team can supply you with raw materials or provide your company with a finished and machined component. We can assist your company to acquire the excellent metal parts and components it needs today! Get in touch with us today!